[gin-info] Summary of OGF18

Laurence Field Laurence.Field at cern.ch
Tue Oct 10 08:31:27 CDT 2006

Here is a short summary of the gin-info session at OGF18. Please let me
know if there are any omissions or mistakes. If requested to do so, I
could also put this summary on the wiki page.

Laurence

bottom of the Wiki page.
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.gin/wiki/GINInfoWiki

The presentation gave the current status of the group  A great deal of
work has been done on translators between information systems. For each
participating infrastructure an information provider has been created
which queries that infrastructure and outputs the information in LDIF in
accordance to the Glue Schema.  These information providers were used to
setup a BDII (gin-bdii.cern.ch) that contained information from the
participating infrastructures. Using this information different use
cases can be tried. The first use case selected was the "site on a map"
use case.  For this use case, three values are required;  an identifier
for the site, the latitude and the longitude.  Using this information it
was possible to use Google Earth to show the location of the sites and
the grid affiliation.  The conclusion of this work was that to query on
information system and populate another was straight forward. The
limiting factor was the information available in the information
systems. The information required will be defined by the use cases and
hence we need to identify information required for the "cross-grid" use
cases.

Outcome of Discussions:
The NGS infrastructure would like to be included in the gin-bdii
The DEISA infrastructure would like to be included in the gin-bdii
gin-jobs would like to be able to find all the Computing Services to
which the GIN VO has access.

Action List:
Ensure that the Google Earth demonstration is in good shape for SC06
Add NGS to gin-bdii
Add DEISA to gin-bdii
Ensure all grids publish the information required for the site on a map
use case
Agree on the information required for the gin-jobs use case.
Ensure all grids publish the information required for the gin-jobs use case.