[gin-info] Possible list of subset data for info interop

Dr. Thomas Soddemann Thomas.Soddemann at web.de
Thu Mar 2 10:17:58 CST 2006

Hi Jen,

Jennifer M. Schopf wrote:
> Thomas-
>
>    this group is NOT defining a schema.  This group is deciding on a
> minimal set of attributes for everyone to advertise in their native
> schemas.

don't worry, I have not suggested to come up with a new schema.

> We will not have an NxN mapping - we will have a mapping of N schemas
> into one list of attributes. This space is also small - I believe we
> have only 3 schemas for folks involved now, the GLUE schema, CIM, and
> what the nordu-grid guys have used, which should be close to the GLUE
> schema since it grew out of MDS2 originally.

What is the value of the following attribute list?

Queue name=small
Queue name=large
Queue name=huge
GRAM version=4.0.1
GRAM version=4.0.1
GRAM version=3.9.5
LRMS type=other
LRMS type=SGE
LRMS type=OpenPBS
Total CPUs=128
Total CPUs=64
Total CPUs=2048
Free CPUs=16
Free CPUs=0
Free CPUs=64
Total Jobs=132
Total Jobs=36
Total Jobs=42
Unique Id=1
Unique Id=2
Unique Id=4

It is worthless, since one cannot know which data belong to the same
context/object (queue), unless one has some rule to structure the data.
A schema defines the attributes as well as their context. A schema rule
could e.g. be in the above case that every third position (0, 3, 6,...;
1,4,7,...; and 2,5,8,...) belongs to the same queue. Such a rules comes
along with a schema but not with the list of attributes.
So we do need to agree on the structure the data are presented as well
as on the attributes our "objects" will have. And if we do not want to
invent another schema we should find a best match for our minimum set of
attributes we would like to see represented in such an existing schema.

In your first sentence you say that "This group is deciding on a minimal
set of attributes for everyone to advertise in their native schemas."
But exactly that leads to the n^2 problem. Everyone has to understand
each other's schema in order to correctly identify the attributes from
the minimum set.

So what is so bad about the idea to use one schema as a kind of
master/interface schema and populate or use only the minimum set of
attributes we are going to agree on?

Thomas