Web pages vs. Schema Translations (was Re: [gin-info] Notes from July 10 telecon)

Laura Pearlman laura at ISI.EDU
Mon Jul 24 16:08:12 CDT 2006

I don't think the decision not to translate between schemas was ever
(until Jen's recent mail) communicated to anyone who wasn't physically
present at the Athens and Tokyo meetings. But more to the point, I think
that's the wrong decision, so I'd like to open this for public
discussion and present what I think are the two competing proposals,
which I'll call the "web proposal" and the "translator proposal". Both
proposals start by identifying a minimal set of information necessary
for resource selection and end with displaying this information in a web
page -- it's what happens in the middle that differs.

1. The web proposal to create a web page that will display information
from various sources by using various APIs (or scripts or whatever) to
query different information systems, then combine them and display them
in some uniform fashion (probably in an HTML table).

2. The translator proposal is to translate that minimal set of
information between existing schemas, advertise at least that minimal
set of information about all GIN resources in at least one information
server of each type, and use one of the existing web-based interfaces to
display it.

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, which I will try to
summarize here:

Schema development. I don't want to split hairs about the definition of
a schema, but my feeling is that both plans to some extent involve
defining a schema and mappings between the existing schemas and the new
schema. The translator plan involves creating an intermediary schema
that's used by the translating software (but that is not exposed to
users) as part of the work plan. The web page plan involves creating a
definition of an HTML table to display the collected information in a
uniform manner and creating mappings of the existing schemas into that
new schema.

Schema flexibility. In the translator plan, users can view information
about all GIN resources using whichever existing schema they prefer. In
the web page plan, users who want to see information regarding all web
pages must either use the web page schema (i.e., look at the web page)
or do separate queries and combine data from all existing schemas.

Software development. Creating an "information provider" for one of the
web-based display systems is probably more or less equivalent to
creating an information provider to translate from a foreign schema to a
native one (at least, that's the case in MDS/WebMDS). However, the
translator plan probably involves writing more of these.

Software deployment. The web plan requires a single deployment at the
site running the web server. The translator plan requires a deployment
at each "edge" site.

Query language support. The translator plan allows users to run queries
using their native query languages that will return information about
all GIN resources (e.g., "show me all queues that use PBS"). The web
page plan either requires that users run queries in each of the existing
query languages and then combine the output or possibly defines and
implements some new query language. The latter option probably involves
a fair amount of development work, especially if it supports sorting or
aggregation operations.

I look forward to hearing people's comments.

-- Laura