[gin-info] Notes from July 10 telecon

JP Navarro navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 14 09:46:12 CDT 2006

Jenny,

The statement "no new software created or deployed" is very broad
and I think easily misunderstood. Our goal is information services
interoperability under the following constraints:

- not require anyone to replace their software
- no major software development effort

This means that we are aiming for low hanging fruit. It's OK to
extend and evolve schemas in a common and interoperable direction,
to put some software development effort into populating new schemas,
and to add capabilities (perhaps new software?) that transform schemas
between interoperable implementations.

For the TeraGrid this means we want to evolve our schemas to achieve
3 major goals: meet TG user information service needs, achieve inter-
operability with other grids, and factor relevant standards as much
as possible. To achieve these goals we will need new provides and
new transformation/interoperability components.  All of this could
be considered "new software", but all within the TeraGrid's existing
MDS4/WebMDS software framework.

JP