[gin-data] Update Ftp transfers

Raj Kettimuthu kettimut at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 24 00:45:41 CDT 2006

I guess the authentication errors in our tests (atleast for the transfers
between teragrid and hathi) was because the hathi's CA is not installed in the
trusted CA's directory on either on the other end of the transfer or at
the client's site.

After installing hathi's CA on my laptop, i was able to run transfers
between my laptop and hathi and also between ariane.doc.ic.ac.uk:55101,
hathi and grid-compute.leeds.ac.uk, hathi.

I noticed that some of the GIN GridFTP resources (including hathi) have a
directory in the url (eg: gsiftp://hathi.hep.lu.se:2811/public). I assume,
GIN users can only read from/write to only that location. For testing,
usually we do transfers from /dev/zero to /dev/null. But we can not do
this here. From some sites that have listed just the host:port, we are
not able to read from /dev/zero. For those sites, we are not sure where
(the path in the filesystem) to write the files to / read the files from.
We tried to write a file /tmp and read that file back. It succeeded in
some cases. We need to figure out a way to resolve this. Listing the
path(s), that the Gin users have access to, for each resource would be
good. Allowing Gin users to write to /dev/null would also be good.

Comments?

Raj