[gin-auth] Re: Create a VO for MultiGrid team ?

Von Welch vwelch at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 24 06:47:38 CST 2006

If you want to have a managed namespace, the only strongly-managed,
ubiquitously understood global namespaces in cyberspace that I'm
aware of are DNS and OIDs (with X509 DNs being a maybe if you stick
to the Grid world).

Pursuing DNS, I'm just thinking of 'ggf.org' as a managed namespace
root to help guarantee uniqueness of the vo name rather than an
attempt to imply organizational affiliation of the VO or some
indicator of where the VOMS server sits. Presumably anyone else
creating a VO in that namespace will coordinate through GGF and
become aware of any conflict in name.

  Any of our DNS namespaces would do, but ggf.org captures the spirit
of the VO nicely in my opinion.

(Re EGA merger, my guess is that it's a safe bet that GGF won't give
up ggf.org anytime soon even if it does change its primary domain.)

Von