[GHPN-WG] Scalability

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Thu Jun 5 01:54:49 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I couldn't agree more with all of this.	Being a networking person,
but not really from the "optical world", who got into Grids, I
was heavily disappointed that 90% or more of the work goes into the
direction of letting end systems participate in GMPLS-style
signaling. This (as you rightly state) cannot scale, at least not
to sizes that some Grid people are dreaming of. To me, it's a key
aspect of the Grid that it should run over the Internet, not some
dedicated (or half-dedicated, possibly IP based) network.
However, it seems to me that "Grid Networking" is usually not
"Grid InterNetworking", and this is why we have that in the name
of our European project EC-GIN: http://www.ec-gin.eu
where doing network research for truly Internet-based
(i.e. scalable!) Grids is the focus.

With a few exceptions (e.g. Grid-specific network measurements),
developing Internet mechanisms for Grids has two major
practical hurdles, though:

1. a lot of this work involves changing the TCP/IP stack, which
   seems impractical in many Grids today, where administrators
   often dismiss code if it even requires root access

2. developing truly new and suitable network mechanisms
   is a long-term effort, involving modeling etc. (we still
   don't know how to properly simulate a Grid, including a
   full flavored network simulation - e.g. ns-2 with Grid
   traffic), and no 100% guarantee of deployable code even
   after a Ph.D. thesis - in my opinion there's a funding
   gap here, because no Grid project could enable such work.
   Well again, this is why we have our project, but I truly
   believe that we're quite an exception here, and even we
   were asked to deliver working code earlier than we wanted
   and planned.

Some work should go into fixing these two problems.

My 2 cents...

Cheers,
Michael

PS: risking to get on your nerves by mentioning that again -
but really, this focus on scalable, Internet-centric network
things for Grids is what I've been propagating for the
GridNets conference since I became involved, so this is the
ideal venue for such results - if you have something, please
submit a paper to us!