[GHPN-WG] Scalability

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Wed Jun 4 11:19:17 CDT 2008

Simeonidou, Dimitra wrote:

> -Dimitra: ghpn should open its consideration to wider user
> communities (not only lambda service users) and look at scaling
> capabilities and interfacing issues of different technologies. i.e.
> the heterogenity considerations should also extend to mobile/wireless
> domains.

Dimitra, thanks! Quite a few suggestions actually; I'm sorry to have
left them out (at least, now the best is saved till last). I think your
comment on scalability is particularly dead on.

Today, I've seen an impressive list of control planes, including
multi-domain control planes. Unfortunately, I do not think any will
scale to the scale of the Internet. AutoBAHN and Phosphorous for example
have a database of all domains and their interrelation. The same applies
for interdomain GMPLS.

To quote RFC 4655 (section 4.9.1), about the scalability of GMPLS: "[the
path computation architecture] is not considered to be a solution that
is applicable to the entire Internet.  That is, the applicability of
[this architecture] is limited to a set of domains with known
relationships."

I think this statement applies for all control planes at the moment.

With NDL, we have created a distributed topology database. However, that
is only part of the scaling problem. Other solutions may include
abstraction of multiple domains, hierarchy of addressing (such as IP
addresses). Remember that the number of constraints is a lot larger
though: topology constraints, technology constraints, scheduling
constrains, policy constraints, etc. And that's just for network
resources, ignoring computing and storage resources that a
meta-scheduler needs to take into account.

I think this is a worthwhile research topic, and the timing is right. It
has been shown that multi-domain control planes are possible. Now is the
time to investigate if this can scale up to 1000s of domains.

Regards,
Freek Dijkstra