[ghpn-wg] new leadership for the GHPN

Franco Travostino franco.travostino at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 13:55:28 CST 2006

Dear all:

I have made a motion for Dimitra Simeonidou to take on the co-chair
role for this Group. Over the years, I have been very impressed with
Dimitra's vision and dedication to advance emerging topics in an open
forum. Among things, Dimitra spearheaded GFD.36 (optical
infrastructure for grids) and the OBS draft underway.

At the same time, I inform you that I will no longer act in the
capacity of co-chair for the GHPN past GGF16. I took an active role
in GHPN's operations shortly after GGF7, at the end of March '03.
Throughout my 3-year term, I very much enjoyed working with you in
advancing a networking agenda. I'm very thankful for your interest,
stimulating contributions, and active participation. It's now time
for me to hand off my role to new leadership. My plan is to pass the
torch on to Dimitra.

As you may know, the NOMCOM has elected me to serve as Area Director
for Infrastructure and steering committee member for 3 years,
starting on October '05. The GHPN group is one of the groups in the
Infrastructure Area. As such, I will continue to be involved with the
GHPN. As well, I have a mandate to expand activities in
Infrastructure and liaise with other networking initiatives (such as
ITU NGN, IPSphere, OIF, etc.).

Should you have concerns or advices on the leadership changes, I
encourage you to flag them to Cees de Laat, Area Director for
Infrastructure, delaat at science.uva.nl.

With regard to the upcoming Athens meeting, the planning phase is
well underway. We will have two 90' sessions. The first session
focuses on work directly related to the current GHPN drafts. The
second session is a roundtable on Grid Networks research projects
bearing relevance to standardization. Earlier in the month, you have
seen Costas' call for presentations. Costas Kotsokalis and the Greek
Research and Technology Network (GRNET) have kindly taken the lead in
organizing the second session. The agendas for both sessions will be
published shortly.

-franco