[gfs-wg] Data Grid Standardization - the chicken-n-egg problem to solve this year

Arun swaran Jagatheesan arun at sdsc.edu
Mon Jan 3 01:57:11 CST 2005

First of all, let me thank IT leaders from IBM Research, HDS, NetApp,
Storage Machines and EMC who have helped our GFS-WG with their
suggestions and encouragement during 2004 (online and offline).

We have identified the area in data storage that this group will
standardize:

Human-readable logical namespace for management of heterogeneous
distributed data resources from multiple organizations that participate
in the grid. This also involves standardization of operations that can
be performed on this resulting logical namespace. We made a steady
progress using our conference calls during 2004. Unfortunately, much of
our activity slowed down once we limited ourselves to having e-mail only
discussions. So, we will again start having our bi-weekly conference
calls.

As a food for thought:
Some of the vendors i have talked to have expressed the need to see
explicit user interest in the WG. This could yield real business use
cases and for the vendors to know their effort is worthwhile. This leads
us to a chicken-n-egg problem... Users want to see some development that
they can relate to us. However, we have observed from the plenary talks
in GGF from fortune companies (demonstrating) the need for these
standards and products. Also, we have seen in our academic data centers
the use of these technologies (demonstrating its possible to have these
products).  As someone pointed out, its just a matter of "having the
engineers do their job" to emerge these standards. It takes effort and
participation from multiple vendors so that these standards are used in
all related products. In addition we need to make sure these standards
add value to both the vendors as well as users. Lets hope we make good
progress this year in our GFS-WG standards.

PS: Let me know if Wednesday afternoon (pacific time) would be a fine
time to have our bi-weekly conference calls.

Arun
~~~~~~~~~
Dream; because, dreams lead to thoughts; thoughts lead to action, and
action leads to achievement.

Arun swaran Jagatheesan
http://www.sdsc.edu/~arun/
San Diego Supercomputer Center.
(858)822.5452

Best wishes for a Joyful holiday season and a Happy New Year!