[GFS-WG] Global resource naming for data grid federation @OGF22

Reagan Moore moore at sdsc.edu
Wed Jan 23 13:01:35 CST 2008

Osamu:
In the iRODS (integrated Rule-Oriented Data System) environment we
apply logical global resource naming for:

- files
- resources
- users
- micro-services (remote procedures executed at each storage system)
- rules (policies controlling execution of micro-services)
- persistent state information (context generated by application of the rules)

The logical naming serves multiple functions:
- support naming independence from the choice of physical resource
- support relationships between name spaces (access constraints)
- support aggregation within the name space (directories, user
groups, storage resource groups)
- support management policies independently of choice of physical resource
- enable versioning

We observe at least four types of identifiers:
- physical resource name
- logical resource name
- GUIDs (globally unique identifiers associated with the logical resource name)
- descriptive metadata associated with the logical resource name

All four types are required:
- physical resource name is storage system dependent
- logical resource name supports aggregation, relationships
- GUIDs provide unique identifier across management systems (but do
not support aggregation and relations which are dependent on the data
management system)
- descriptive metadata provides the context for discovery

I am willing to describe the functions that are enabled by the above
global resource naming.  Of particular interest is federation across
data grids.  This implies inclusion of a data grid identifier as part
of the name space for all of the global resource names.

Reagan