[gfs-wg] Re: Proposed Final Draft for RNS v1.0

Osamu Tatebe o.tatebe at aist.go.jp
Wed May 18 22:41:10 CDT 2005

>> On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:42:13 -0700, Manuel Pereira <mpereira at almaden.ibm.com> said:

>> The latest draft of the RNS specification is now posted to GridForge and
>> ready for review and comments.

Thanks for posting of the latest draft.  I think it is better to have
teleconference next week to discuss this.  Here are comments from my
group.

o Behavior of moving an entry whose AliasCount property is greater
  than one.

This needs to be described in 1.1.1.2.4 same as the case of deletion.
Possible solution is we do not allow this, but optionally we allow
this if and only if TargetPath of all of alias entries is reassigned
to the new TargetPath.

o Should TargetType in QueryResponse for list and lookup be
  TargetPath?

o Behavior of create without Type

Type is an optional property for create according the section 1.3.2.1.
If it is not specified, what entry is created?

o Value of AliasCount

In 1.1.2.4, there is a description '... greater than one ...'.  This
means AliasCount is one even though there is no alias entry that
points to.  For me, zero is fine in this case.

o SoftAlias, HardAlias, and PathAlias

In VFDS specification, there are SoftAlias, HardAlias, and PathAlias.
On the other hand, RNS specification only specifies Alias Junction.
Is it still possible to support these three types in VFDS based on
RNS?

Thanks,
Osamu