[gfs-wg] Latest GFS-WG Namespace Service Specification Document

Reagan Moore moore at sdsc.edu
Wed Nov 24 05:26:09 CST 2004

I would add several more caveats to the list of items that must still
be addressed:

- scalability.  How many files is the system designed to handle?  We
now support over 50 million files in the SRB data grid.  Collections
with millions of files are not uncommon.  Will APIs for manipulating
large collections be available?
- latency management.  One of the concerns in data grids is
interactive response on "ls" style commands.  An example is issuing a
"ls" command on the East Coast of the US when the catalog is on the
West Coast.  This required minimization of the amount of mark-up tags
and extraneous information that are sent when listing large
collections.  It is not obvious that the XML syntax will meet
interactivity requirements for large data grids.
- access controls.  This is listed as a concern in the document.  The
SRB data grid has had to support multiple types of access
constraints, including:
   - do not display logical file names when access is not permitted
   - do not display selected file properties for all files
Access controls will be needed for both files and metadata.

Reagan Moore