[fi-rg] FW: [security-area] Input for GGF-14

Ralph Niederberger r.niederberger at fz-juelich.de
Mon Jun 20 02:45:24 CDT 2005

FW: [security-area] Input for GGF-14hello,

unfortunately I will be out of office at Tuesday, June 21th  (btw. you meant June not July I think (;-) ).

Nevertheless I also think that the structure is ok. The subsection concerning "list of possible solution" Thijs mentioned I think is already included or can be included into the Classification chapter, where we segment grid applications known to "firewall devices" available and where we should have a section 'Applications not solved by current "firewall devices" on the market'.

I could contribute with a chapter on high speed firewalls and loadbalancing firewalls available today.

I will be available in Chicago at GGF14.

And here is a little bit input for things to be considered:

"Most sites secure their common external network connections by conventional firewalls. Current policies allow grid applications to traverse these firewalls by specifying access lists opening special ports or port ranges. Often application gateways are used also.Using application level gateways provides a way to minimize administrative activities configuring firewalls by automating routine work. They fail where high performance data connections are needed. Most of the currently available firewall systems cannot be used, if applications want to transfer data at gigabit or multi-gigabit per second speed. Application level firewalls will hinder transmissions in those scenarios.
Dynamic firewalls provide a way for automatic configuration through a management instance. Human interaction leading to delayed execution of configuration will be avoided. Special protocols for authentication and authorization are under development currently. Nevertheless,  these dynamic firewalls cannot deal with high bandwidth demands.

High speed firewalls, load balancing firewalls, firewall farms, and alternative firewall concepts are on the way. Currently available new firewall systems allow data transfers up to 10 Gb/s, but are not able to handle multiple 10 Gb/s connections. Load balancing firewalls are helpful having a huge amount of small data streams, but cannot cope with a single high bandwidth data communication or special traffic classes. New firewall paradigms have to be developed in the future dealing with such scenarios. It will be of main interest to foster such developments giving input to the designers what high speed applications really need, how they are designed and how they should interact with these firewall resources."

Regards

Ralph

 Ralph Niederberger

 Research Center Juelich
 Central Institute for Applied Mathematics
 John von Neumann Institute for Computing
 D-52425 Juelich

 Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
 Zentralinstitut für Angewandte Mathematik
 John von Neumann Institut für Computing
 D-52425 Jülich

 Tel.: +49 2461 61 4772
 E-Mail: R.Niederberger at fz-juelich.de