[E-research] Status of groups within the OGF e-Research function

David De Roure dder at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 4 10:06:56 CDT 2009

Hi David

Congratulations on your new role!

The Semantic Grid community has been involved broadly in three areas of activity: semantic grid, web 2.0/3.0 and semantic e-science.

* The established Semantic Grid community is active but not pro-active in OGF the way it once was.  It peaked with the many semantic grid projects funded in the UK and Europe (under the grid technologies unit), and has now bedded down in various places.  The mailing list mainly carries calls for papers etc.  In Europe it is underlined by the SOKU activity so it's still moving forward.

* Web 2.0. The last thing the sem-grid group did formally was run the two OGF web 2.0 workshops, and those involved have now shifted their attention to the eSi theme in the UK in order to reach our intended audience. For example, we had an excellent Web 2.0 week in Edinburgh recently.  We are also involved with the science 2.0 and open science movements.

* Semantic e-Science. The activities under this banner are flourishing internationally.  I'm not clear that OGF is the right place for this though.  Last week I was at the W3C Health Care for Life Science Interest Group F2F in Boston and it was excellent.  To put it another way, why would we pursue Semantic e-Science at OGF as opposed to W3C or the e-Science conference?

So if you're happy for a group to exist without proactively running events at OGF then SemGrid lives, but if you require us to participate more directly in OGF events then we probably need a rethink.

Personally I continue to be involved in OGF on the workflows, repositories, and arts and humanities side of things. I would be particularly interested to discuss the Hass group too.

Thanks

-- Dave