[dvdvol] Re: Application Update Discussion

Christa & Jay Toser user5013 at aol.com
Mon May 17 00:52:21 PDT 2010

Hi All,

You bring up several topics that I hope to answer. I have sent some of this information previously to Aaron Cannon, so He'll see some of this twice.

As to how I mail international requests. I always use Form 2976 -- the
little green form -- for every package I mail international (even Canada). I
do not use any automated system. That is because I use exclusively
Macintosh, and I have not yet found an automated system that works with my
platform.

The declarations I use on Form 2976 are: Gift (checkbox); Description of
contents: "Free books on DVD" (or CD as necessary); Weight 0 lb., 3 oz.;
Value --0-- (they are free, they have no value); Date & signature. I use a
rubber stamp for Sender's Name & Address. I use a word processor to print
out the addresses directly from the database, and use tape to stick one copy
of the address to Form 2976, and another copy to the envelope. I do not
re-format the address in any way -- too time consuming.

I usually use 6" x 9" envelopes (whatever is cheapest at Staples). I put a
piece of cardboard in the envelope to protect the discs; I put both discs
into one paper sleeve (cheaper); and include a cover letter describing
Project Gutenberg.

The cardboard usually increases the weight of the letter over 2 ounces. But
I have seen what the various Postal Services and Customs Agencies do to the
letters. It is not uncommon for returned packages to arrive in a "body bag."
I am convinced the cardboard is necessary for international shipments. Others have not used the cardboard, and the package then slips under 2 ounces weight. Which is better? I'm not one to judge.

A 6" x 9" envelope falls under the "First-Class Mail International, Letters"
designation. Postage costs for international are by "Group" (similar to the
Zone rates for Parcel Post).
For a three ounce package:
Group 1 (Canada): $1.25
Group 2 (Mexico): $1.89
Groups 3-5: $2.66
Groups 6-9: $2.54
You can use the usps.com website to get a list of which countries belong to
which Group.

When I mail, I use stamps. I have discovered a trick to getting the packages
into repressive Muslim countries such as Iran and Yemen (The King James
Bible on the DVD is usually death to the package). The U.S. Post Office has
issued an "EID" stamp. Usually sold only around Christmas time. It has a
beautiful gold Arabic script on a blue background, for Eid al-Fitr which is
a celebration ending Ramadan, the month of fasting.

Stick one of the EID stamps on the package, and it is almost guaranteed the
DVD's will be delivered in Muslim countries. For Iran, the package may still
take six months to be delivered, but it will arrive. I use the Wikipedia to
determine if a country is more than 50% Muslim, and then use an EID stamp on
those countries.

Johnnie brings up several good points on the address format questions. Folk from Romania have the odd habit of not listing their city. Folk from India many times leave off their postcode. I also vote for a mandatory city field. However, not all countries have a postcode. In fact (if you count all 114 countries we have shipped to), most don't have a postcode. Making the postcode mandatory will just cause confusion among some requesters. Maybe a strongly worded reminder at the top of the request form is appropriate.

As to the telephone number, it shouldn't be a required field. Not all folk have telephones. I am aware though, that (at least) the India Post Office will use the telephone number if they can't find the addressee.

The list of fields from Ubuntu look pretty good. There should be more than two address lines though. Take a peek at any India address. Their address lines usually contain several commas. Within India, each comma represents a new line in the address. So the following address:
SANDEEP M MAKHE C/O SHRI ASHOK JEEVANDHARJI UDOLE,KUNGHATKAR LAYOUT,ADJACENT TO DEHANKAR LAYOUT,BEHIND DURGAMATA MANDIR,NEAR GANESH PEETH GIRNI,SINDHI MEGHE WARDHA MAHARASHTRA 442 001 (Entered all on one line.)

Is really formatted:
Sandeep M. Makhe
℅ Shri Ashol Jeevandharji Udole
Kunghatkar Layout
Adjacent to Dehankar Layout
Behind Durgamata Mandir
Near Ganesh Peeth Girni
Sindhi Meghe Wardha
Maharashtra  442 001
India

Name line, 5 address lines, city + district, state, postcode, country. Believe it or not, this package actually got delivered.

I hope my comments are helpful
Jay Toser