[dvdvol] Re: Question to the list

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Sat Mar 19 12:38:06 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, John Hagerson wrote:

> Has anyone estimated the weight and volume of the printed works contained on
> a copy of the Project Gutenberg CD or DVD? I have a request from a gentleman
> who is going to Africa to play "Johnny CD-seed" and would like the statistic
> for his presentation.
>
> Thank you for your assistance.

If the books were printed in standard hardback format, with the average book
containing 3/4 inch of paper and two 1/8 inch covers, the entire DVD printed
out would be about the size and weight of the average adult elephant!

About 1 pound per book, or half a kilo.

I actually weighed and measured some samples to come up with these figures.

Sample books, my elephant is embarrassed about its weight, wouldn't come.

mh