[dvdvol] the new ISO Creator; it's nearing completion!!!

Marcello Perathoner marcello at perathoner.de
Fri Aug 12 07:13:42 PDT 2005

Aaron Cannon wrote:

> Hello all.  As you may or may not know, Craig Stephenson and greg Newby
> have been working on a system to create custom CD and DVD images on the
> fly.  I am happy to report that the system gets better and better each time
> I look at it.  You can see the progress at
> http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu/pgiso/ .  This system is not ready for the
> masses, but please feel free to take a look and poke around.

Is it really a good idea to build the ISO images on the server and mail
them to the user?

Even a lowly CD image comes in at 650 MB, which will expand to 1 GB if
base64-encoded for mailing. Who has got the luxury of that big a
mailbox? How reliable is the delivery of 1 GB mails? What about DoS
attacks on somebody else's mailbox?

I'd only build the browse pages on snowy and require that the customer
uses jigdo-lite (www.jigdo.org) for download. The browse pages are
pretty small so you can cache them all for a week or so. The actual
ebook files would come from ibiblio.

--
Marcello Perathoner
webmaster at gutenberg.org