[dvdvol] new web forms and new disc images

Marcello Perathoner marcello at perathoner.de
Sun Oct 17 09:25:43 PDT 2004

Scott Schmucker wrote:

> I once wrote a program that used PHP and a programming interface known
> as PHP/YAZ to query the library of congress database for book
> information automatically.  This was for a used textbook sale operated
> by my university, but a similar approach would go a long way to helping
> to automate this process.

Granted, but how do you identify the book? We have no ISBN or similar
key into the LoC database.

The LoC database contains a record for every copy of book they hold,
which could be many hundreds for a popular work. And copies acquired in
say 1950 are often cataloged very differently from copies acquired in 2000.

If we just had some sort of unique key into the LoC database,
`borrowing' the data would be a child's play.

--
Marcello Perathoner
webmaster at gutenberg.org