[dvdvol] Willing volunteer awaiting instructions

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Thu Oct 14 15:40:55 PDT 2004

At 05:37 AM 10/13/2004, you wrote:
>Some months ago I offered to help with burning CD-ROMs and DVDs. I've
>not heard anything more about this other than being put on this list -
>might there be a problem because I'm based in the UK?
>
>--
>Michael Quinion
>businessmail at quinion.com
>+44 1454 411128

Hi Michael.  You're definitely not the only one on this list in this
situation.  The fact is that I was so busy with getting through the queue
that a lot of offers of help unfortunately went unaccepted.  That's why I
formed this list.  People were falling through the cracks and I thought
that perhaps this list might at least enable me to communicate and
coordinate things with all of you better.

There's no problem with your location.  We currently have two volunteers in
Europe mailing discs for us.

Here's how things stand right now.  The queue that only a month ago was 400
requests long and looked like it was going to take months to get through is
now only 50 requests long.  By next week, it should be gone
completely.  This has caused a shift in problems.  Before we had too much
work and not enough help.  Now, we've got a lot of help and almost no work.

So, once again I would pose the question to the group, now that we have the
queue under control, in which direction should we focus our attentions?

I am personally in favor of making a new CD or DVD image.  Right now there
are a lot of files on the DVD which don't need to be there.  I'm talking
about the 30MB PDF files and the old versions of files which were
included.  If we were to go through and select files for the DVD
one-by-one, I'm convinced that we could substantially increase the number
of books and the quality of the DVD.  I've been giving some thought as to
how this task could even be distributed.

Thoughts?

Sincerely
Aaron Cannon

E-mail: cannona at fireantproductions.com