[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA Java binding : package naming

erwindl0 erwindl0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 04:31:03 EDT 2016

Dear DRMAA WG,

I have a GO from the Eclipse group to provide the DRMAA Java API(s) as
part of our Triquetrum project [1], i.e. in the shape of OSGi [2] bundles.
This would allow an easy integration from e.g. Eclipse applications (or
other OSGi-based solutions) with DRMs via DRMAA, which is a real need
for e.g. the Eclipse Science WG [3].

There was a remark though about the advised package name, as defined in
https://redmine.ogf.org/documents/11 i.e. : org.*ggf*.drmaa

It seems the ggf.org domain is no longer registered for the "Global Grid
Foundation"?
And so there might be a risk about ownership/trademarks/... in the
future if GGF gets registered by someone else? (all kinds of legal
things I don't understand well myself).

So I have following questions :

1. Is it an option to change the expected Java package name to e.g.
org.*ogf*.drmaa ?
Potentially e.g. for DRMAA v2 as it would seem that there are no known
Java binding implementations yet?
(and then we live with the temporary risk for DRMAA v1 until everyone
has switched to v2)

2. Is the OGF or DRMAA group able to have a long-term "claim" on the
namespace *org.ggf* somehow?

3. Or is this simply not considered a risk/issue in your community and
is your advice to just go ahead with org.ggf.drmaa?

Thanks and regards,

erwin

[1] https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.triquetrum
[2] https://www.osgi.org/