[DRMAA-WG] Meeting Minutes OGF-42, Day 1

Khalid Shakir kshakir at broadinstitute.org
Wed Sep 10 14:15:44 EDT 2014

Hi Bruno,

I've seen your blog posts on possibly using SWIG or JNI for DRMAA. Back
with DRMAAv1, with both a C <http://redmine.ogf.org/documents/10> and a Java
<http://redmine.ogf.org/documents/11> specs available, we implemented a
generic DRMAAv1 Java-to-C binding using JNA <https://github.com/twall/jna>'s
dynamic invocation. While I never had time to support our wrapper
<https://github.com/broadgsa/gatk/tree/9d15d241af5d4a3709e3c76249cff4c2a9053d60/public/gatk-tools-public/src/main/java/org/broadinstitute/gatk/utils/jna/drmaa/v1_0>
as a proper mavenized library, I'd love to see someone publish a similar
DRMAAv2 JNA wrapper as an artifact, of course after both specs are out.

Anecdotally, after a user contributed patch mapped other parts of our
software to PBS specific variables, the above wrapper seemed to work for at
least a another
<http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/2150/queue-and-pbs> without
further modification to our DRMAAv1 JNA code. While I haven't measured the
actual speed of GridEngine-via-JNA vs. GridEngine-via-JNI, this dynamic
wrapper "feels" fast enough for most users, as the JNA probably adds <0.5s
per call, ever. This known cost
<http://developers.opengamma.com/blog/2012/05/25/jna-jni-and-raw-java-performance>
has been worth it since we now only include a single DRMAAv1-JNA wrapper,
versus multiple JNI wrappers for DRMAAv1-PBS, DRMAAv1-GridEngine, etc.

Best wishes,
-k