[DRMAA-WG] OCCI DRMAA

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Fri Mar 7 03:05:39 EST 2014

Dear Belkhir,

> Let me introduce myself, i'm a research engineer, and for research
> purpose i found the OCCI DRMAA can answer.
>
> I want to know if there is updates about the occi drmaa specification.
> Actually i am developping a OCCI server and for testing purpose on an
> european collaborative project.
>
> I have some issues  considering the models. Does the occi drmaa
> standardization is still active?If yes how can i participate on the work
> to better understand the model?

The OCCI-DRMAA standardization work was suspended in 2012, mainly due to a lack of interest from adopters and some unsolved issues with the foundational OCCI specifications. However, recently we got some interest from platform developers, so this seems to gain pace again.

The best thing to have would be some prototype implementation, based on DRMAA2 in GridEngine:

http://www.gridengine.eu/programming-apis

Since GridEngine 8.2 is only announced so far (Daniel ?), you can start with the DRMAA2 mock implementation as foundation, and shift later to the ‚real‘ job submission system:

https://github.com/troeger/drmaav2-mock

Any kind of OCCI-DRMAA prototype would give us a better feeling about the matureness of the concepts in the spec draft. We can then start to improve and finalize them, so that we end up with a real specification.

Thanks and best regards,