[DRMAA-WG] DRMAAv2 C binding - "DRMAA2_TRUE64"?

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:38:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Peter Tröger <peter at troeger.eu> wrote:
> That's a funny one ...
>
> It's the perfect time for such comments. We are still waiting for the OGF
> officials to start the public comment period for the document. In this
> phase, we need the community feedback to show a larger interest in the spec.

I have three more issues:

1) Mac OS and Mac OS X are 2 different platforms. Mac OS is the much
older OS that is not supported anymore, and Mac OS X is the one that
is based on the Darwin & Unix kernel.

May be we should change:

DRMAA2_MACOS -> DRMAA2_MACOSX

Even Apple sw_vers tool prints Mac OS X as the product name:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/sw_vers.1.html

2) We have x86 and the 64-bit version x64, and we also have PPC &
PPC64, SPARC & SPARC64.

But where is the 64-bit version of ARM (DRMAA2_ARM)?

We (the Open Grid Scheduler project) added support for ARM since Open
Grid Scheduler/Grid Engine 2011.11, and we think ARM will be used by
lots more sites when 64-bit ARM hits the market - note that the 64-bit
ARM architecture was announced last year.

Also, China developed a series of 64-bit MIPS processors called
Loongson, and 64-bit MIPS is manufactured by other companies as well -
to keep the architecture selection consistent, shouldn't we also have
DRMAA2_MIPS & DRMAA2_MIPS64?

3) DRMAA2_DATA_SEG_SIZE - the data segment does not change when a
process runs, as the data segment contains global & static (and common
in Fortran) variables. I can't think of anyone who explicitly wanted
to limit the size of the data segment.

What we do need is a limit for the Heap (sbrk(), malloc(), C++'s new,
etc) - this is the memory we care about.

IMO, we should change the name to DRMAA2_HEAP_SIZE

Rayson

Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

Scalable Grid Engine Support Program