[DRMAA-WG] OGF35 Wrap-Up

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 18:39:07 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Peter Tröger <peter at troeger.eu> wrote:
> - We support the proposal by Daniel to introduce an overall drmaa2_string
> type, instead of using the native char* in the binding. The intended
> semantic is to use drmaa2_string whenever the application is supposed to
> clean up such variable. This can be done by calling drmaa2_string_free() or
> the free function of the surrounding structure (e.g. with job templates),
> depending on the context. This freeing demand must be  documented in the
> spec. It should further be clarified that drmaa2_string_list will return
> drmaa2_string items in the get() operation.
>
> - The pointer-nullification-on-free issue, which would lead to a complete
> shift to double-indirected pointer parameters, has to be decided in a
> voting.

So what does the new interface look like??

I was not very clear before - if we were to take the address of the
pointer and pass it to the free routine, then we should also take the
address of the pointer and pass it into the routine that creates the
object.

I don't think there is an API that requires the software developer to
pass in different types for the allocation & de-allocation.

Traditional C has malloc() & free(), the programmer gets a pointer &
frees the object using the same pointer. In C++, new & delete is the
same.

Even the example that Daniel used also has a matching allocate & free interface.

Since Daniel's original goal is to NULLify the pointer, we may as well
require the programmer to take the address of the pointer when the
list gets allocated.

IMO, it is ugly to get a pointer when you allocate the object from the
system, but then pass in the address of the pointer when you free it.

Rayson