[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA Version 2 - Final Document - Draft 1

Daniel S. Katz d.katz at ieee.org
Wed Mar 30 19:03:31 CDT 2011

Some comments from a scan of the document:

I would like a rational section for this document - something that says what the issue with DRMAA v1 were, and what changes have been made in v2 to address those issues - I know there are footnotes in the doc that talk about differences, but it would be good to have all the differences in one place, along with the reasons.

Sun Grid Engine is probably renamed just Grid Engine or Univa Grid Engine now - not sure, but this should be checked.

line 80 - stake holders should be stakeholders
line 81 - which should be that
line 86 - not clear what resp. means
line 100 - 2nd paragraph - remove "itself"
line 122 - API's should be APIs
line 149 and 150 - change to "with a resolution at least to seconds"
line 151 and 152 - change which to that
line 152+ - A line for UNSET should follow.
line 156 - another "resp." that I don't understand.
line 159+ call-by-value has the wrong initial quote - probably a LaTeX error in not using `` - this seems to be a general problem, and a global fix should be applied
line 160 footnote - change "from DRMAA" to "out of DRMAA"
line 161 - section 4.1 - are there other OSs that should be added?  newer windows?  Cray? (maybe this is Linux?)
line 233 - define Kibibyte - maybe define all units somewhere?
line 247 - are there systems that have a wall-clock time limit in their schedulers?  I'm familiar with limits of run-time, but these are usually in CPU time, not wall-clock time.  I don't know of a wall-time limit that includes time in the queue, but perhaps I've missed something.
line 481 - why would they be defined otherwise?  This seems odd.
line 539-540 - I'm not sure what "according race conditions." means
line 541, 546 - more "resp."  this continues in other places...
line 648 - should be "is not allowed."
line 650 - In case should be "In this case".
line 652 - "information" should be deleted or changed to another word.  "Every ... information" isn't grammatical English.
line 694 - "allows to" should be "allows one to"
line 863 - how should the checkpointability of a job be denoted?
line 917 - of should be or
line 953 - It's not clear what dictionary is referred to here.
line 1051 - beside should be "in addition to"
line 1054 - "allows to" should be "allows one to"
line 1095 - "allow tho" should be "allows one to"
line 1156 - DRM should be "a DRM"
line 1195 - ending should be end
line 1240 table - "were the" should be "where the"
line 1353 - "return also" should be "also return"
line 1371 box - I'm not sure what "iterator-alike" means.  Is this simply "iterator-like"?
line 1624 - that should be who
line 1629 - ", however" should be "; however"

On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Peter Tröger wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> it took 3 months instead of 3 weeks, but we finally made it. Attached you can find the first official draft for the final DRMAA v2 specification.
>
> I attached a preview for the official text, plus an annotated version with ToDo markers + explanations + line numbers. The latter should be used as foundation for all upcoming discussions.
>
> We will start again with weekly (!) conf calls beginning from next week, until the remaining issues are solved. Please feel free to use the list for initial discussions, this saves time on the phone.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter.
>
> <drmaav2_draft1.pdf><drmaav2_draft1_annotated.pdf>

Daniel S. Katz
University of Chicago
(773) 834-7186 (voice)
(773) 834-3700 (fax)