[DRMAA-WG] Meeting Minutes - Conference call - Apr 27th - 19:00 UTC

Daniel Gruber dgruber at univa.com
Thu Apr 28 02:02:30 CDT 2011

There are currently two problems from Grid Engine:
- There seems no way for getting the desired NOW behavior (at least in this section the *optional* NOW keyword is not defined)
  for an GE specific enhancement, without breaking compatibility
-  In GE there is no currently no sliding windows support for the SET/SET/SET in case of duration is shorter than endTime-startTime
   (GE DRMAA implementation have then a similar problem then the other DRM which do not support NOW as startTime)

Following suggestions for this section (5.6.2):

- Add the *optional* "NOW" constant -> if an implementation does not
  support it, it is treated like UNSET (InvalidAttributeException)
- If startTime, endTime and duration is set and duration is shorter than endTime-startTime, the
  sliding windows approach (take "the earliest point in time") could made optional.
  That means: take startTime and duration or *optionally* search the earliest point in
   time.

I know we discussed it more than once, but having these options would make it
much easier to get a compatible implementation.

Cheers,

Daniel

Am 27.04.2011 um 23:46 schrieb Peter Tröger:

> Line 751 - Reservation without time frame
> - Makes no sense, since it might be way too short for the user
> -> raise invalid argument exception on UNSET/UNSET/UNSET
> - add rationale why startTime=UNSET is not equal to startTime=NOW
>   - handy concept supported by some, but not all DRM systems
>   - Emulation in the DRMAA library is not a valid option, since this
> would lead to situations were the reservation already arrives 'too late'
> in the DRM system
>
> Best regards,
> Peter.
>

> Am 27.04.11 00:57, schrieb Peter Tröger:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> the next DRMAA conf call is scheduled for Apr 27th, 19:00 UTC. We meet
>> on Skype, please find me under my user name "potsdam_pit".
>>
>> Preliminary meeting agenda:
>>
>> 1. Meeting secretary for this meeting?
>> 2. Solving remaining issues in DRMAAv2 Draft 3 (see attachment, starting
>> from page 18)
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't had the time to prepare a new draft.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Peter.
>>

>> --

Notice from Univa Postmaster:

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. This message has been content scanned by the Univa Mail system.