[DRMAA-WG] Meeting Minutes - Conference call - Apr 27th - 19:00 UTC

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Wed Apr 27 16:46:53 CDT 2011

Participants: Daniel, Mariusz, Roger, Andre (SAGA), Peter

Quick check of last weeks decisions, all agreed

Line 530 - checkpointability attribute in job template
- Grid Engine expresses checkpointability as string reference to
checkpointing environment
- would be boolean flag in Condor, indicating standard universe
- From SAGA perspective, no real use case
- Decision: Dropped

Line 578 - optional eMail attribute
- accepted by group

Line 609 - Staging support
- reformulate to allow submission and execution host being the same machine
- denote support for 'hierarchical copying' as implementation-specific
- reformulate to state that with parallel jobs, copy must target at
least the master node, and may also copy the files to other hosts
- clarify relationship between job working directory and relative paths

Line 707 - Reaction on reaching soft / hard limits
- Grid Engine: Signal depends on particular limit type
- Agreement that crossing a hard limit should lead to FAILED state of
the DRMAA job
- Agreement to remove softResourceLimits completely, since DRMAA cannot
promise any kind of common semantics, and since the attribute is not
important enough to add it as opaque concept (as with slots)

Section 9.2.4 / 9.2.7:
- reservedSlots should be mandatory information, reservedMachines should
be optional information

Agreement to specify possible error codes per method after some
implementations were done

Line 751 - Reservation without time frame
- Makes no sense, since it might be way too short for the user
-> raise invalid argument exception on UNSET/UNSET/UNSET
- add rationale why startTime=UNSET is not equal to startTime=NOW
   - handy concept supported by some, but not all DRM systems
   - Emulation in the DRMAA library is not a valid option, since this
would lead to situations were the reservation already arrives 'too late'
in the DRM system

Best regards,
Peter.