[DRMAA-WG] Treat job templates as value types ?

Daniel Templeton daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Mon Mar 29 09:07:32 CDT 2010

The reason we have vendor extensions is that it's much cleaner than the
native specification, and it gives the DRMAA implementation the
opportunity to understand the meaning of the job template without having
to understand how to parse the native specification.  In the SGE
implementation, the native specification is passed directly to SGE.
DRMAA knows nothing about what's in it.  (Hence it's not sanity checked.)

I could live with the idea of making the job template a value type and
adding in C an undefined struct type field (e.g. struct
drmaa2_vendor_attributes_t) that vendors are allowed to define
themselves, with an empty struct being a valid definition.

How would this approach affect the other non-OO languages, like Perl?
Without thinking about it too hard, I think Perl would actually behaving
like an OO language in this case.  Are there other non-OO languages we'd
need to worry about?  I doubt it, but we need to be careful before
closing the door on any implementations.

I'm still chewing on whether it's really OK for the job template to
allow bogus values, expecting that the run() method will point out the
problems.

We had a discussion about allowing DRMAA to filter the list of jobs to
be returned from a search.  If the job template were a value type, it
could be used as the filter.  Fill in the fields that interest you, and
leave the rest empty.  You'll get all the jobs that have those values
set in those fields.  And the easiest answer would be not to allow
wildcarding.  See the Jini discovery service for a complete
implementation of this approach.

Daniel