[DRMAA-WG] Treat job templates as value types ?

Daniel Templeton daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Mon Mar 22 10:03:36 CDT 2010

The reason why the job template was originally considered an "object"
was that the original prototype (the SGE C binding) treated it like one
internally.  (There's thing pseudo-OO data structure that permeates SGE,
and the job template is implemented as one.)  It had to be malloced and
freed in the prototype, which required explicit create and delete
methods.  From the Java side, I never argued against it because the use
of finalizers in Java is frowned upon because it gums up the garbage
collector.

The last time we talked about it, I'm pretty sure we decided that we'd
leave the create and drop the delete, making the job templates scoped to
the session.  I guess you can look at that as the compromise solution.

If we make the job template a struct in C, there's no way to initialize
it with default values.  The current SGE C binding doesn't assign
default values either, but that's beside the point.  It could if it
wanted to.  The Java binding does.

Having the job template as a value type only would definitely simplify
the issue of using DRMAA as a remote interface.

Daniel