[DRMAA-WG] About obtaining the machines names in a parallel job

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Wed Mar 24 07:54:40 CDT 2010

Hi Yves,

thanks for a good discussion in Munich, I hope we can rely on your
user perspective also in the future.

> I understand why you don't want to put a mean to get the
> hostnamesfile for an
> MPI code, since it's should be transparently done in the configName
> (correct
> name if my rememberings are well).
>
> But I thought of a different use case: a code is just launched on all
> machines. This code is a socket based one, thus it needs to know the
> other
> machine names to be able to run correctly.
> Of course, this could be bypassed with the use of an external
> machine where a
> daemon runs, and where running codes can register -- I think of it
> like an
> omniNames running for example. Another solution is to encapsulate
> applications in an MPI code just to, maybe, have that information.

For me, it sounds like getting the information about allocated
machines (for a job) on each of the execution hosts. I wonder if this
information is provided by the different DRM systems. Does that depend
on the parallelization technology, such as the chosen MPI library ?

Best,
Peter.