[DRMAA-WG] maxSlots attribute

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Tue Mar 23 12:27:04 CDT 2010

> As I said in the email I just wrote, I'm willing to be convinced of
> the
> value of adding queues to the job submission side of things.  I am,
> however, fundamentally opposed to adding queues to the monitoring
> side.

I will heavily insist on queue support in DRMAAv2, This is a long
demanded feature, which also popped up again in the survey.

>  The various concepts of queues are too different for that to make any
> sense.  There is absolutely no way we will be able to model both LSF
> and
> SGE queues in a way that is abstract enough to be consistent and still
> specific enough to be meaningful and accurate.  We'll talk on the next
> call. :)

The intention of the current model is that JobTemplate::queueName and
MonitoringSession:: drmsQueueNames act as counterparts. DRMAA would
promise that all strings that show up in MonitoringSession::
drmsQueueNames are valid input for JobTemplate::queueName. Nothing more.
The use case are DRMAA-based portals and command-line applications.
The interpretation of what a queue is can be provided by the library
implementation - at the end, the user anyway has to reason about the
meaning of queue names.

We could relax the conditions so that other values are also allowed in
JobTemplate::queueName. This would allow MonitoringSession::
drmsQueueNames to return nothing in SGE. This must be anyway possible
- Condor has no queue concept at all.

I could also agree to remove MonitoringSession:: queueMaxWallclockTime
and  MonitoringSession:: queueMaxSlotsAllowed, since these two
attributes are the ones that demand a particular understanding of what
a queue is.

Best,