[DRMAA-WG] Monitoring JobTemplate attributes for running jobs

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Wed Jul 28 16:10:34 CDT 2010

Hi,

Agenda item #8 was not discussed in the call today, but it is the burning issue for me at the moment. Please have a look in the  "Attributes in JobInfo" tab:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqyvnBscJNqxcnJBSUs5dXRrU29EUVhGOGthc1lDTFE

Currently, we allow to access the original JobTemplate from a JobInfo object. The idea was to get, beside the job monitoring information, also the information about what was demanded at submission time.

While doing the Condor mapping, I figured out that most of the JobTemplate attributes are also monitorable for a running job. This includes things such as executable name and working directory. Normally they should be the same as in the JobTemplate, but Condor and SGE (at least) have this magic job wrapper stuff, were the admin can automatically and silently reconfigure / reinterprete everything in a JobTemplate. This might lead to the situation were the user asks for A, and silently gets B.

The question: Should we drop the support for getting the JobTemplate as part of JobInfo, because the information is useless ? Instead, we could add some (or maybe most) of the JobTemplate attributes as true dynamic monitoring information to JobInfo.

Best,