[DRMAA-WG] Meeting minutes - Conference call - Aug 25th - 19:00 UTC

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Aug 26 02:22:29 CDT 2010

Hi all,

Quoting [Peter Tr?ger] (Aug 25 2010):

> - Raised new issue: What are the default values for JobTemplate
>   atrtributes ?
>   - So far, DRM system defaults are implicitely used when not setting
>     an attribute
>   - Worked with getter / setter - based attribute change, how to
>     realize with JT struct ?
>      - Two options: Notion of "invalid value", default for all
>        attributes OR setting system defaults as struct value defaults
>      - Second option not implementable in all cases, example working
>        directory

sorry for jumping in sideways again, I did not follow the complete
discussion I am afraid.  But isn't the first option also very
difficult to *use*?  Again for example for the working directory: an
'invalid value' as default would likely trigger the backend to
decline the job request.  So, the DRMAA user would need to set all
required values explicitely.

So, IMHO, a third option would be to allow for empty values, which
are then interpreted as 'unspecified', and set by the backend as
needed (e.g. with the system default working directory).

My $0.02,

  Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy.