[DRMAA-WG] Torque/PBS DRMAA - drmaa_wi* POSIX equivalents II

Peter Troeger peter.troeger at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri May 4 10:51:47 CDT 2007

> Issue:
>
> Removing drmaa_wif* routines and introducing one-call semantics could
> lead to more clear, consistent and informative job life cycle
> graph. For
> example, additionally to the existing job states returned by
> drmaa_job_ps(), we could imagine also states such as
> DRMAA_JOB_PS_COREDUMPED or DRMAA_JOB_PS_SIGNALLED.
> ---------
>
> If the drama_w* functions are present, this is not necessary.
>
> If one day the drama_wif* routines are gone, we might need extensions
> mechanism (like some other groups, JSDL or SAGA?) for the job
> states to
> avoid explosions of states and implementation complexity.  This is
> clearly future versions staff.

OGSA-BES had some long discussion about job states, we should look on
this. JSDL is no option here, since their job is over after the job
submission.

  I vote for an updated field study, where we compare the available
job state information in the most prominent DRM systems. The key is
to find the least common denominator - therefore this would be the
chance to remove the different SUSPENDED states ;-)