[DRMAA-WG] Torque/PBS DRMAA - $drmaa_incr_ph$ issue

Peter Troeger peter.troeger at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri May 4 10:26:54 CDT 2007

> Issue:
>
> To ease handling of bulk jobs, we recommend adding the ability to use
> $drmaa_incr_ph$ not only in file paths but also in program
> arguments and
> environment variables.
> ------------
>
> The spec is not explicit regarding the program arguments part and
> implies that it could be embedded into any attribute, but to be 100%
> certain we would need to check the previous records to see if and what
> the restrictions are.
>
> We also need to check what is in the current implementations.
> Could the
> implementers, please respond to this thread?

The DRMAA specification permits the variable usage explicitly in the
according attribute descriptions, which only implies the non-usage
for the other attributes. The IDL spec is more precise and lists up
the allowed attributes for PARAMETRIC_INDEX.  The Condor
implementation allows this variable only in the path-related attributes.

I agree to take this as important feature request, and will create
the tracker item when the initial discussion is finished.
Here is the list of job template string / string list attributes,
which could also get support for this variable:

Already allowed for:

  attribute string workingDirectory;
  attribute string inputPath;
  attribute string outputPath;
  attribute string errorPath;

Could also be allowed for:

  attribute string remoteCommand;
  attribute OrderedStringList args;
  attribute Dictionary jobEnvironment;
  attribute string jobName;
  attribute string nativeSpecification;

Makes maybe no sense for:

  attribute string jobCategory  (since this is based on a predefined
list of keywords)
  attribute StringList email      (since this must be a valid eMail
address)

Regards,