[drmaa-wg] drmaa_wif*() Functions

Fri Jan 14 08:17:07 CST 2005

I'm now working on the drmaa_wait() function and its helpers, and I've
run into an inconsistency.  In the language independent and former C
specs, the drmaa_wifexited() function is defined as returning non-zero
if the job has ended normally and zero if the job has ended normally but
has no exit status available.  So far so good.  It then goes on to say
that if drmaa_wifexited() returns non-zero (non-zero == normal exit),
then more information is available from drmaa_wifsignaled() and
drmaa_wifaborted().  Huh?
Signaling and Aborting are not normal exit methods.  Those are abnormal.
  However, according to the spec, there's no way to say that the job
exited abnormally.
The example in the C binding spec treats a return of zero from
drmaa_wifexited() as meaning the job exited abnormally.  That's also how
I interpreted it in the Java language binding spec.
What was the actual intention here?