[dmis-bof] Vote for submission of Charter

Arie Shoshani shoshani at lbl.gov
Sat Mar 18 17:29:17 CST 2006

Bill,

I sent an email yesterday expressing some questions (not sure if to call
them objections, but I am concerned that the setup phase is too large of
a scope for this BOF and this activity).  I have not seen a response.
Here it is again.

Arie
--------------
I saw a couple of items that I'd like to comment on.

1) Regarding the sentence:
"Setting up a data movement includes the selection of a transport
protocol, for example GridFTP, and parameters for reliability, timing,
scheduling, resource usage, accounting, billing, etc. The Working Group
will explore existing mechanisms to reach such agreement, e.g.
WS-Agreement and use them where appropriate."

Thus, in the setup phase, all kinds of services will have to be
contacted, such as components that manage resources, components that
perform scheduling, keep track of accounting, etc.  For example, to
reserve storage space, the data movement service may want to interact
with SRMs.  I think this is a huge undertaking, and too large of a
scope.  Even if you go through WS-agreement, it will have to interact
with various resource managers, accounting, billing, etc.  You may want
to leave all the setup to a separate component, like WS-agreement, and
then focus on the data movement part.

2) A related point, in the "Seven questions: Evaluation Criteria (from
GFD.3)" document it says:
"The most direct overlap would be with the gsm-wg, but they are
participating in this group and will, presumably, use what is developed
here for the transport portion of their interface."

Yes, it makes sense for SRMs to make use of powerful transport services,
since SRMs rely on transport services.  But, when a request is made to
an SRM, they take care of managing storage space, keeping track of usage
and accounting, as well as perform scheduling, so it does not make sense
for the transport services to negotiate storage allocations (including
lifetime), scheduling, etc, again, as is suggested in the "setup phase"
above.

3) In the charter document, it says:
"To accomplish 3^rd party data transfer, a uniform, yet abstract naming
scheme for resources (data in general, files in particular) is required.
This working group will provide such abstract uniform naming scheme."

I think this was the goal of the GFS-WG group, to the extent that I
understand what they doing.  It might be good to coordinate with them.
Also, isn't the issue if a uniform name space (also referred to as
logical namespace) and its mapping into physical names fall into the RLS
domain (and future related activities).  Do you really want to keep
track of this mapping as part of the data movement service?  Perhaps I
don't understand the concept.  Please clarify.

--------------------

See additional embedded responses below.

William E. Allcock wrote:
> DOH!  I thought this went out yesterday morning.

> All,
>
> The deadline for getting our charter in is fast approaching (it may be
> today, I have sent mail to ask).  I would like to call for a vote on the
> current charter (attached).  If anyone has any objections to submitting as
> is, please speak up immediately.  Note that there is now the concept of a
> living charter, so we can make changes if necessary.

See above.
> Also, need to know if anyone objects violently to going with DMIS as the
> name.

Sounds like a good name to me.
> Also, per our proposed schedule we would have two sessions in Tokyo, one of
> which is the WSDL presentation, the second is discussion and a start at
> trying to extract the common elements for the functional spec.
>
> I will handle the presentation for RFT WSDL.
> Can we have a volunteer that will be at GGF17 volunteer for:
>
>   - srm_copy?  Alex?

Alex and I did not plan to attend this next GGF, and neither is Peter
Kunszt.
I wonder if Timur or another person involved with SRMs is planning
attend the
Tokyo meeting.