[DFDL-WG] Action 337: ISO DFDL Workgroup Operation changes

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle at apache.org
Wed Feb 7 09:50:15 PST 2024

This action item is about how we operate our workgroup going forward, and
how that evolves now that we're an ISO/IEC standard as well as an OGF one.

I believe we will need to create a workgroup document describing these new
practices, particularly when they augment/vary some of the standard OGF
practices.

Please add to this list of issues about how we operate going forward.

   - Typography: I assume we have to revise the OGF Spec to match Standard
   ISO format (Beyond just A4 page size) so future versions come out in that
   conforming style.
      - Once we do this I don't want to be maintaining an OGF flavor and an
      ISO flavor of the formatting.
      - Does a preliminary working document of the DFDL workgroup have to
      be specifically marked as such (so that it is clearly preliminary)? What
      are these markings?
      - If that is done without revisions of content from current OGF
      content, would that replace the current ISO-provided document (which is
      just a new cover page on our existing OGF GFD.240 document) or does that
      wait for a content revision?

   - Who are contacts within JTC1 ? Does the OGF Workgroup contact JTC1 by
   way of OGF leadership or directly? (or... what is the chain of command
   here? Don't want to be jumping across protocol boundaries!)
   - Is there a TC within JTC1 that we should work more closely with? Right
   away? Eventually? Need contacts there.

   - In 6 years a PAS is supposed to become an International Standard. What
   does that mean? Does PAS status end? Does OGF participation end, or does
   the workgroup merge into a TC? Or is this just a status change assuming
   things are going well?
   - Day to day working group activity/meetings - is there guidance about
   notes/minutes-taking, etc. (templates)?
   - Such time as we have revisions to the document, how do we engage with
   ISO to get an update to the PAS document? Are these voted?
      - What about just typographical corrections?
      - Thoughts: Do we just use the OGF process for updates/corrections
      and then just submit the changes to JTC1 (some TC?) for consideration?

Mike Beckerle
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl
Owl Cyber Defense | www.owlcyberdefense.com