[DFDL-WG] Behavior of nilKind literalValue with respect to binaryNumberRep of packed

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:56:28 EDT 2020

Not sure I understand the mixture of the concepts of justification and
packed decimal here.

I usually think of packed decimal as fixed length and without padding.

Let me assume this example: 12345C is value 12345, 00000C is zero, and
00000F is the nil indicator.

So, bigEndian byte order, I think dfdl:nilvalue="%#r00;%#r00;%#r0F;" is
what I'd expect to see for a literalValue nilValue to match that.

I'm guessing some assumption in the above doesn't match your use case, so
please correct.

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | Owl Cyber Defense |
www.owlcyberdefense.com