[DFDL-WG] BLOB - binary large object proposal - updated

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Aug 8 05:09:15 EDT 2019

Mike

Am I allowed to put DFDL properties on the new simple type, or is the new
type considered to be a built-in type?  I think the latter is clearer and
simpler to implement.  Support for 'clob' would then just add a new simple
type restriction 'dfdlx:clob'.

Assuming that the feature makes it into a future DFDL 2.0, the schema
containing the 'blob' simple type would then be in the standard DFDL
namespace. That's the first example of such a schema, as this is the first
time we are extending base XML Schema as opposed to defining annotations.
If the new type is considered a built-in type, then this schema should be
part of the DFDL 2.0 standard and read-only.

Any thoughts on allowing the specification of the filename via DFDL
property rather than API call?

Presumably I could create a local restriction of 'dfdlx:blob'? One
motivation for so doing would be to validate the length or content of my
binary data. There's a problem with that though - validation works against
the infoset, so the allowable facets are those applicable to xs:anyUri and
would be applied to the file name, not the binary data. It also means that
dfdl:lengthKind 'implicit' can't be used.  I don't see a way round this.

IBM Hybrid Integration, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com