[DFDL-WG] clarification needed: conversions to required type of expressions - implicit or explicit

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:17:25 EST 2018

We implemented casting/conversion based on

https://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#casting-from-primitive-to-primitive

And I believe these casting/conversions are required for an implementation
of the DFDL expression language, for when sub-expressions are composed with
each other to form larger expressions. E.g., if you call fn:concat, which
takes string arguments, you can pass numbers to it, because they are
auto-converted to strings.

However, the DFDL spec bullets you cite are pretty clear that this
shouldn't be done for the return value of an expression that is providing
the value of a property, like the one for dfdl:textBooleanTrueRep="{ 1*10
}" which should cause an SDE/type-error.

So this is a daffodil bug.