[DFDL-WG] Action 274 - on qnames in path expressions in DFDL

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Tue Nov 18 09:44:22 EST 2014

Thanks Mike - I'm not going to argue with sources like those.

regards,

Tim Kimber,
Technical Lead for IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com
Tel. 01962-816742
Internal tel. 37246742

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     Tim Kimber/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Cc:     Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB, "dfdl-wg at ogf.org" <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   18/11/2014 00:25
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] Action 274 - on qnames in path expressions
in DFDL

Sorry for the delay getting back to this.

Two people whose views I consider authoritative on things XML Schema,
Roger Costello and Priscilla Walmsley (author of "Definitive XML Schema",
which is my Bible, anyway, both say that xpath expressions that want to
refer to an element that is in a namespace, *must* use a prefix to do so.

Definitive XML Schema page 390, Section 17.8, says that the XPath subset
in XSD steps, that are qualified element names, Table 17-6 says "A child
element-type name which must be prefixed if it is in a namespace".

I cannot yet trace this back to something in the XML Schema specs, but it
is in print there, in a quite authoritative and influential book on XML
Schema.

I would be inclined to follow this semantics. Xerces does, other tools do.
It's not consistent with global names - where the default namespace is
used to determine their namespace, but it is one consistent rule.