[DFDL-WG] Action 274 - on qnames in path expressions in DFDL

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:25:02 EST 2014

Sorry for the delay getting back to this.

Two people whose views I consider authoritative on things XML Schema, Roger
Costello and Priscilla Walmsley (author of "Definitive XML Schema", which
is my Bible, anyway, both say that xpath expressions that want to refer to
an element that is in a namespace, *must* use a prefix to do so.

Definitive XML Schema page 390, Section 17.8, says that the XPath subset in
XSD steps, that are qualified element names, Table 17-6 says "A child
element-type name which must be prefixed if it is in a namespace".

I cannot yet trace this back to something in the XML Schema specs, but it
is in print there, in a quite authoritative and influential book on XML
Schema.

I would be inclined to follow this semantics. Xerces does, other tools do.
It's not consistent with global names - where the default namespace is used
to determine their namespace, but it is one consistent rule.