[DFDL-WG] elementFormDefault and the form attribute on element declarations

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Nov 12 07:20:04 EST 2014

WG agreed that elementFormDefault and form attributes will be mentioned
explicitly in section 5.1.

http://redmine.ogf.org/issues/241

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Steve Hanson/UK/IBM
To:     Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
Cc:     "dfdl-wg at ogf.org" <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   03/11/2014 14:57
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] elementFormDefault and the form attribute on
element declarations

Section 5.1 of the spec has 'Standard XSDL namespace management' in its
list of what a DFDL schema consists of. Section 5.1 does not go on
explicitly to exclude 'elementFormDefault' attribute or 'form' attribute,
so my reading is that both these are therefore allowed.

We could expand what is meant by 'Standard XSDL namespace management'. But
if we do that we should make sure that we do so in any other areas that
are a bit vague. For example, we disallow complex type derivation and
substitution groups so does this imply that 'final' and 'block' on complex
types and elements are prohibited regardless of setting? For example, we
disallow identity constraints but does that mean that 'id' can never be
used on schema objects?

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848