[DFDL-WG] ES in delimiters

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Jun 30 13:12:27 EDT 2014

On the face of it, yes it does seem inconsistent. The point being that
"%WSP*;" is the same as "%ES; %WSP+;" (on parsing, longest match is taken;
on unparsing nothing is output).

In our NACHA xsds we have:

                        <dfdl:defineFormat name="NACHARecord">
                          <dfdl:format lengthKind="explicit" length="94"
terminator="%WSP*;"/>
                        </dfdl:defineFormat>

But strictly speaking it should be this because it's an optional new line
that appears rather than any white space:

                        <dfdl:defineFormat name="NACHARecord">
                          <dfdl:format lengthKind="explicit" length="94"
terminator="%ES; %NL;"/>
                        </dfdl:defineFormat>

If we allow ES then ES on its own as the only string literal in the list
should be an error.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848