[DFDL-WG] bit order documents updated

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:45:17 EDT 2014

I will edit and share a discussion thread of the link16 requirements I have
been having with Russ Hawkins of Lockheed-Martin discussing TDL/link16. He
is a SME on this topic, having built and used processors for that format.

MIL-STD-2045 works today with just the leastSignificantBitFirst feature as
described. We have some tests. I will publish this DFDL schema and tests.

MIL-STD-2045 doesn't require the byte order mixed-endian behavior.

Mixed endian behavior is something we originally thought link16 required
that is not illustrated within MIL-STD-2045.

Our understanding of link16 was incorrect however. It turns out link16 only
requires this byte/word swapping as a bulk preprocessing pass over the
entire body of a message (but not the message header). This is not unlike
decoding base64 or other encoded data found in a message payload. DFDL
can't do this today in one pass - an application program that drives a DFDL
processor is needed for multi-pass formats like this. This is fine for DFDL
v1.0.

Russ verified that this is the *only* byte/word swapping required for
link16 - there is no per-element mixed-endian byte order required. Just the
same least-significant-bit-first bitOrder that MIL-STD-2045 needs. Hence, I
dropped the mixed-endian byte order from the proposal.

The remaining link16 requirement that couldn't be worked around is the
6-bit ascii format.

It is always going to be the case that for some formats, especially these
big complex ones, that we will not really know if we can model it until the
DFDL schema has been created. However, MIL-STD-2045 plus a minor additional
6-bit encoding is our best shot at having credible support for a wide array
of MIL-STD formats.