[DFDL-WG] Please review - New version of bit order/MIL-STD-2045 document

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Jul 18 09:55:44 EDT 2014

Mike

We have reviewed the document.

So MIL-STD-2045 does not in fact reverse the physical bit order on the
wire. As you point out in your comment, you don't know of a format that
does. Therefore we do not need three enums for dfdl:bitOrder for DFDL 1.0.
 We should just add the enums that we need, like we propose for
dfdl:byteOrder.

However we are still having trouble relating your description of Number
Model to the example quoted from MIL-STD-2045. Let me give an example of
what we understand the MIL-STD-2045 example to be implying, and you can
say whether we have the correct understanding. Assume big-endian byte
order and twos complement binary for integers. You'll need to look at this
in rich text to see the colours.

Logical data:
Struct length=16 bits
        FieldA  type=int, length=3 bits, value=3
        FieldB  type=int, length=7 bits, value=9
        FieldC  type=int, length=4 bits, value=5
        FieldD  type=int, length=2 bits, value=2

MSBF (how current DFDL parser would expect bits):
      01100010 01010110
      AAABBBBB BBCCCCDD
      M      L M      L

LSBF (how MIL-STD-2045 would expect bits):
        01001011 10010100
        BBBBBAAA DDCCCCBB
      M      L M      L

If that is correct, then we find this a good way to illustrate the
concept.

How analogous is this bit ordering stuff to bi-directional text? I ask
because we have properties textBidiOrder 'implicit' & 'visual', and
textBidiOrientation 'LTR' & 'RTL'. If there is a good analogy then we
could use the same terminology. If it is not then we should not. Though it
should be pointed out that we have deferred action 241 so this area is not
fully understood.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848