[DFDL-WG] action 224: add section for implementation defined limits

Cranford, Jonathan W. jcranford at mitre.org
Sat Oct 19 13:59:19 EDT 2013

All,

Attached are the first few implementation-specific features divided up between implementation-defined and implementation-dependent features.  Three are implementation-defined and two are implementation-dependent.

The intent is to add two definitions to the spec, similar to this snippet from the XProc specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/#conformance):

Conformant processors must implement all of the features described in this specification except those that are explicitly identified as optional.

Some aspects of processor behavior are not completely specified; those features are either implementation-dependent or implementation-defined.

[Definition: An implementation-dependent feature is one where the implementation has discretion in how it is performed. Implementations are not required to document or explain how implementation-dependent features are performed.]

[Definition: An implementation-defined feature is one where the implementation has discretion in how it is performed. Conformant implementations must document how implementation-defined features are performed.]

I'm still working through the spec; I thought I'd send these off now to begin discussion.

Fyi,

Jonathan