[DFDL-WG] escapeKind clarifications needed.

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Fri May 31 14:40:23 EDT 2013

When escapeKind='escapeBlock' we only use the escapeEscapeCharacter if
needed to escape the block end. We don't use the escapeCharacter at all.

So, is it an error if escapeKind='escapeBlock' and you define a value for
escapeCharacter in the same dfdl:escapeScheme?

Such property cannot be inherited by scope, so since escapeBlock kind
doesn't use the escapeCharacter, this can only be either an error, or
silently ignored, or ignored with a warning.

An error is the best choice from a language design perspective.